Thursday, April 5, 2012
It's National Grilled Cheese month! And I am a grilled cheese lover. This month I'm going all out and making amazing, innovative, and down-right tasty grilled cheese sandwiches.
Today I bring you the Spicy Scrambled Breakfast Grilled Cheese. It takes all of the components of a delicious breakfast and combines it into one drool-worthy sandwich. I will warn you that it takes some effort, but the it is well worth it. I knew it would be good, but I didn't realize HOW good. One bite and my jaw dropped.
Picture it: Scrambled eggs with onion, jalapeno, and mushroom topped with crumbled bacon sandwiched between two slices of brioche french toast and pepper jack cheese oozing from every crevice.
Are you drooling? I am!
To make 4 delicious sandwiches you will need:
8 slices brioche
1/4 cup milk
2 T brown sugar
Butter (for coating the outside during sandwich assembly)
4 slices of bacon cooked nice and crispy
1 jalapeno, diced
1/2 onion, diced
6 mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp olive oil
8 thin slices Pepper Jack Cheese
1. Cook your bacon. Just toss it in a pan over medium to medium-high heat and cook until it reaches your desired doneness. I like mine crispy, almost burnt.
2. Make the French Toast. In a small bowl scramble together the eggs, milk and brown sugar. Dip the sliced brioche into the bowl to coat both sides. Brush away the excess. Cook in a skillet over medium-high heat. Each side should take 2-3 minutes, until browned.
3. Make your scrambled eggs. Heat some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the jalapeno, onion, and mushrooms and saute for 3-4 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium-low. Add in the eggs and scramble. Cook until the eggs begin to set. DO NOT overcook your eggs here. They will continue to cook a little bit inside the sandwich.
4. Assemble your sandwiches. Butter one side of each french toast slice. Stack in twos with the buttered sides facing each other. Place 1 slice of cheese onto each stack. Spoon scrambled eggs onto each stack. Crumble bacon onto each stack. Top with another slice of cheese.
5. Cook your sandwiches. In a skillet over medium heat grill your sandwiches. Just take your stacks leaving the bottom slice of bread and place in the pan. Take the remaining slice and put it on top. Cook until each side is browned and the cheese is melted.
6. Enjoy your grilled cheese breakfast goodness!